Saturday, July 12, 2008

Reality Sets In

I have returned to civilization from the coolness and beauty of the mountains. The first obvious reality I have come to is that the heat and humidity of Kansas has decided to come to join us for the summer. I guess I can't complain too much as it is now July and this is the weather we expect. Today is it raining, which is nice in one way as I wanted to spend the day relaxing and recovering from the week with the youth. However, I need to mow my grass horribly. I guess that will get done tomorrow.

While I was in Colorado I had time to reflect on my life and the changes ahead. Up until this point I have only been thinking about the excitement and the change in my life. I have officially entered the anxious stage. I'm still excited, but the real changes are very apparent after I spent a week with the youth and the leaders.

As most of you know the youth group is a very large part of my life. I have been a part of this group for 6 years. They have made so many impacts on my life I'm not sure that I will truly realize how much I will miss them until I am away from them. These teeangers are more than just your typical group. They are a group that has challenged me in my faith and how I accept and love those I encounter in my life. Yes, they are still teenagers and have their moments, but the good moments way out weigh the low.

Not only have the youth made a huge impact on my life the other leaders are some of my closest friends. I know when I am with them I can always be my true self. They accept me for my good qualities and don't judge me for the not so good. Not that I have many friends that aren't that way, but I spend so much of my life with this group we have bonds and understand each others ins and outs. We are able to have fun together as well as have real conversations and confide in eachother about the real moments in our life.

There are many things that I'm anxious about in the transistion to a new place of my life. As most of you know I'm a planner and like to know how things are going to work out and don't like a lot of changes to the plan. Well, there isn't a lot of details that I have about this move. I don't know how the details of the house and living situation is going to work out. I am not looking forward to finding a new church. I pray I will be able to find something that compares to what I have now, but pretty sure it will be difficult to duplicate. Obviously, I won't be able to replace the friends I have here, but making new ones that are similar is scary. The only time I have totally relocated from everything I know was when I went to college. At that time you are totally placed in a situation where you are forced to make friends. I'm not the most outgoing person so meeting new people is not my forte.

I will finish reflecting now. I'm sure there will be more of these in the future, but I guess that is what blogging about. This is my life for this moment.

5 comments:

tiff said...

You are much better at getting out there and meeting people than you think you are. If you want I will give you my wild and crazy friend Lori's number and she will take you out to meet people. She knows everyone! She's a huge Extravert! I will have her give you a call if you want once you get situated. As far as churches go...there is one that I wanted to go to but never did and that is Hope something...Hope Spring, maybe? It used to be located out there off of 21st past Andover right there where you get on the interstate. There is a cool couple that I know that goes there, Ashley Callstrom is her name and they used to be really involved with the youth there. I keep saying used to because I don't know what has changed since I left.
I'm glad you had fun in Colorado!

Laura said...

Thanks for the info and vote of confidence. I know exactly which church you are speaking of.

Anonymous said...

We will be here for you in this time. The fact that you are able to put it in words is getting there. I know you will find all you want in your new home as you have for the other moves you have made. New friends, new church, new coworkers, and renewed friends. Love mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Laura, It cannot be easy to leave everything you love and have depended on for your sanity for a number of years. It's kinda like Ii told ty.. "we are not all going to live in this cocoon the rest of our lives"? It will be fine tho we are all here for you and the plans will fall into place as you need them to. YOu know you are not going into this blindly you will have all of us a computer and phone away and as you pray about it your prayers will be answered just leave it to Him!
I'm always here,
bl

tiff said...

You have such great family support! You are so very blessed!!